W.O.M.A.N., Inc. Wish List
There is so much more that goes into surviving abuse than experiencing the violent relationship itself. Many survivors face additional barriers to safety when they are without the resources to get their basic needs met. This includes, but is not limited to, access to food and personal hygiene products. When finances are limited, transportation can also be very challenging. A survivor may be ready to leave their violent relationship, but lack the mobility to seek safety with a friend or domestic violence shelter. Beyond fleeing unsafe situations, our program participants often encounter ongoing, unmet needs for transportation. Survivors attending various appointments with outside organizations, social service agencies, court dates and therapy sessions, for example, can become overwhelmed by their lack of viable transportation. All of these issues are exacerbated by the high cost of living and general effects of gentrification in the Bay Area.
These items can help minimize some of these barriers and support survivors of domestic violence with the long-term change they strive to achieve:
- Gift cards for Walgreens, Safeway, Ross, local restaurants, etc. – f
- Motel vouchers – for those survivors who may only need one night in a confidential location as they prepare to enter shelter, or leave town.
- Muni Passes or Muni Passport or Muni single ride tickets
- BART Tickets/Clipper Cards
- Funds for documentation reproduction, court related costs and other costly, one-time needs.
- Gently used clothing, household appliances, and other donations can be made in W.O.M.A.N., Inc.’s name at Community Thrift, 623 Valencia, San Francisco.
- Paper shredder – to protect survivor privacy & confidentiality
- Used cell phones with batteries (no chargers, please!) – When people donate cell phones to us WOMAN, Inc. has the opportunity to earn some money by sending the phones to an organization who then sends us a check based on the value of the phone.
If you (or your organization) are able to support our work through a donation of any of the above items, please contact Shaena Spoor at firstname.lastname@example.org OR (415)969-6761
W.O.M.A.N., Inc. also has a wish list for its Adopt A Family Holiday Gift Card Drive. Through this wish list, you can easily buy gift cards to Safeway, Target or Walgreens. Please have them shipped to our physical location so that we can distribute them to survivors.