W.O.M.A.N., Inc. Wish List
There is so much more that goes into surviving abuse than experiencing the violent relationship itself. Many survivors face additional barriers to safety when they are without the resources to get their basic needs met. This includes, but is not limited to, access to food and personal hygiene products. Beyond fleeing unsafe situations, our program participants often encounter ongoing, unmet needs for transportation. Survivors attending various appointments with outside organizations, social service agencies, court dates and therapy sessions, for example, can become overwhelmed by their lack of viable transportation. All of these issues are exacerbated by the high cost of living and general effects of gentrification in the Bay Area.
These items can help minimize some of these barriers and support survivors of domestic violence with the long-term change they strive to achieve:
Clipper cards, loaded increments of $10.00
- Why we need it:
- they help us relocate participants who need to leave the city due to emergencies or relocation
- they help our participants get around the city (and the Bay Area in general) as they attend appointments, court dates, and/or work
VISA/Mastercard/American Express Gift cards
Why we need it:
- these cards allow us to be adaptive as we support our participants
- these cards can be used to purchase participant prescriptions, filing fees for court, document reproduction, therapy services, participant stipends and training supplies
Gift cards for Walgreens, Safeway, Whole Foods, TJ Maxx, Macy’s, Ross, local restaurants, etc.
Prepaid Mobile Phones and Additional Purchased Minutes
Monetary Donations, in any amount
- Why we need them:
- a portion of our budget must be unrestricted so we can respond to unique, one-time, unplanned and emerging participant need
- 83% of every dollar donated goes back to our programming, and has supported all of our services, materials for support groups, training presentations, and the items listed above
We love organizations and community groups who organize drives for us! If you are planning a donation drive for WOMAN Inc, please refer to this guide as you solicit donations on our behalf.
Due to a lack of need and of storage, we don’t currently accept:
- clothing (unless it is unworn)
- toiletries and beauty products
- anything travel/trial sized
- personal care items (including toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, or body wash/soap)
- tampons and pads
If you have items to donate that we are not currently soliciting, please consider donating them to Community Thrift in our name; W.O.M.A.N., Inc. will receive a portion of the proceeds when your donations are sold.
Some other good donation spots are:
- Out of the Closet Thrift Stores located at 1498 Polk St San Francisco CALIFORNIA 94109 US and more locations in the East Bay
W.O.M.A.N., Inc. also has a wish list for its Adopt A Family Holiday Gift Card Drive. Through this wish list, you can easily buy gift cards to Safeway, Target or Walgreens. Please have them shipped to our physical location so that we can distribute them to survivors.